ministry: Research Manager
Posted: January 14, 2016
The Manager of Research will be a member of the Mission U.S. team, where our goal is to see 100 million Americans actively engaging the Scriptures by 2025. This person will manage the strategy and process to define Scripture Engagement, determine how to measure that definition, and ensure the resources we produce can properly capture those metrics.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Facilitate the definition of Scripture engagement-
- Oversee the work in progress to establish a practical working definition of Scripture engagement. Then, contextualize the definition for local ministries in the US context so it can be practically applied.
- Guide and assist the Ministry Mobilizers in understanding and applying this definition.
- Manage contracted researchers for Mission U.S.
- Facilitate the ways to measure Scripture engagement, through established and future resources.
- Manage the development of indicators of transformation
- Provide input into the development of ministry resources to ensure that the tools track engagement according to the definition
- Regularly monitor, evaluate and develop the above concept of transformation, indicators and metrics tools
- Guide city-specific research that will take place before, during, and after resources are launched in order to gage effectiveness of the resources and strategy.
- Liaise with external networks to participate in conversations and share our research results
- Inform ABS and partners on innovation and learnings
- Oversee our Mission US-wide research strategy (including relationships with Barna Research Group, Center for Bible Engagement, and other research partners)
- Collaborate with our Ministry Mobilizers to assist them with Scripture engagement expertise, research, resources, and ideas
- Draw upon previous ABS research conducted by Global Scripture Impact and the Nida Institute
Secondary responsibilities include:
- Develop strategy informing ‘White Papers’ as requested by the Managing Director for Mission U.S.
- Convene ABS Research gatherings that include members of the Nida Institute, Global Scripture Impact and People and Organizational Development --drawing from the experience within these groups to inform Mission U.S.
- Build research partnerships with other ministries. These partnerships would have stated expected outcomes and outputs to practically benefit the Scripture engagement movement
- Coordinate a collaborative group to continue studying, writing about and consulting with Church and parachurch groups on Scripture engagement thinking and practice
- Ability to be a conference speaker on behalf of ABS/Mission US.
- Convene an annual Bible Research summit
Although there are no direct reports, work with functional team leads, ministry leaders, and vendors to accomplish the goals.
Key Skills and Competencies:
- 3-5 years’ experience in innovative project building
- Superior written, oral and interpersonal communication skills required. Excellent presentation ability desired.
- Proven analytical skills with the ability to explain complex research information clearly and simply
- Ability to relate well in a cross-cultural, multi-national organization
- Ability to speak and connect effectively to both faith-based and secular audiences.
- Demonstrated knowledge or experience with Christian ministry and/or faith-inspired service.
- Effective organizational, implementation and time management skills
- Passion for the Bible cause and its ability to impact lives, in alignment with the mission and core values of ABS.
- Ability to travel nationally as needed.
Education and/or Training
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
- Experience in Relevant Field: 3-5 years managing or administrating research.
Highly self-motivated, initiative-taker, excellent self-manager; superior written and oral communications; highly personable, polite, diplomatic, calm under pressure; reliable, rigorous attention to detail and follow-through; committed to continuous learning and improvement.
Our mission is to make the Bible available to every person in a language and format each can understand and afford so all people may experience its life-changing message.Submit your resume for this position »
AMERICAN BIBLE SOCIETY’S MISSION:
Our mission is to make the Bible available to every person in a language and format each can understand and afford, so all people may experience its life-changing message.
AMERICAN BIBLE SOCIETY’S CORE VALUES:
We are looking for candidates who embody our core values of:
Value each other by serving, listening and reflecting God’s character.
Practice honesty, authenticity and transparency in word and action.
Embrace our diversity by aligning our collective strengths and unique gifts.
Honor God with our time, talents, partnerships and resources.
American Bible Society's Cultural Traits:
- SPIRITUAL VITALITY
- OUTCOMES ORIENTATION
- SERVANT LEADERSHIP