ministry: Scripture Printing & Production Associate
Posted: June 19, 2017
The Associate for Scripture Printing & Production is responsible for managing, under the Managing Director of Ministry Mobilization Operations, the printing and production of all of American Bible Society’s Scripture resources (Bibles, New Testaments, Portions, Selections and Scholarly resources). This would include managing the bidding process and accompanying correspondence with our global network of printers to obtain the best quality Scripture resources, at the most economical cost. This work will be conducted for several aspects of our ministry, including the Bibles.com team for sales targets, as well as for our Custom Editions work in sales/grants and across Ministry Mobilization in areas like Mission US (specifically for Custom Scripture solutions for the Project Ignition city strategy and Look Inside custom Scripture resources for Project Magellan), Mission Trauma Healing (for various Trauma Healing classic edition resources, Healing Hearts club resources for Children/Teens, etc.) and Mission Global for granting purposes.
- Manage the production of assigned promotional items and Scripture resources published by ABS and ensure that all are produced/delivered on time and at the lowest cost possible, for the quality levels desired. Confer with sources and investigate and solve problems.
- Review weekly Manufacturing/Resource Planning (MRP) reports to determine necessary reprints and generate purchase orders to initiate the ordering/production process.
- Maintain data field in the MRP module in Microsoft Great Plains.
- Determine order quantities, request and review cost estimates, and select vendor based on cost, quality, and reliability.
- Provide ABS departments with cost estimates in a timely manner.
- Purchase sourced items domestically and internationally as assigned by Managing Director.
- Provide back end support in these functional areas for the Operations Manager for Custom Editions.
- Comply with all ABS purchasing practices and policies in ensure honest, fair and ethical relationship with ABS vendors.
- Explore new materials, suppliers, and processes to achieve the best possible quality, reliability, prices, continuity, and delivery.
- Maintain an up-to-date manufacturing schedule and generate a status report on a monthly basis or as needed.
- Adhere to production schedules, verify delivery dates, and make certain that deviations are investigated and properly followed up.
- Maintain and complete accurate job files for all orders.
- Maintain continuous, tactful and effective communications with vendors regarding variances/billing discrepancies from production guidelines, exceptions, and options.
- Review and approve invoices for conformance to estimates, via vendor by job, and facilitate final authorization by Managing Director.
- Monitor and evaluate performance of all vendors on an ongoing basis.
- Handle the replenishment forecast and reprints for ABS’ Top 50 Best Selling/Most popular Scripture resources.
- Assist the Managing Director with any special assignments as necessary.
- Review samples from the every new printing/reprint to ensure quality standards have been met.
Education and Essential Traits/Skills:
Minimum qualifications individual must possess when entering position:
- Fervent belief in the mission of the American Bible Society and its core values
- Passion for the Bible cause and its ability to impact lives
- Bachelor’s degree or over 3 years of print production experience
- 3-5 years’ experience with print manufacturing/purchasing in the publishing field, including 4-color processes printing
- Proficient in functioning in a multi-task environment, possess strong organizational skills and have an orientation to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to manage parallel projects and constant flow of new projects
- Knowledge of PC applications.
- Effective customer relations, communication, critical listening, and decision-making skills.
- Professional experience working with date-based information management systems in publishing
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Ability to meet or exceed expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
- Possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Great Plains or similar production management system.
- Project Management
- Standard working hours: 8:30-5:00
- Domestic travel on occasion
Our mission is to make the Bible available to every person in a language and format each can understand and afford so all people may experience its life-changing message.
AMERICAN BIBLE SOCIETY’S MISSION:
Our mission is to make the Bible available to every person in a language and format each can understand and afford, so all people may experience its life-changing message.
AMERICAN BIBLE SOCIETY’S CORE VALUES:
We are looking for candidates who embody our core values of:
Value each other by serving, listening and reflecting God’s character.
Practice honesty, authenticity and transparency in word and action.
Embrace our diversity by aligning our collective strengths and unique gifts.
Honor God with our time, talents, partnerships and resources.
American Bible Society's Cultural Traits:
- SPIRITUAL VITALITY
- OUTCOMES ORIENTATION
- SERVANT LEADERSHIP