technology: Web/Linux AWS Administrator
Posted: July 14, 2017
The American Bible Society (ABS) is currently seeking a Web/Linux AWS Administrator with vision and experience to advance and support our web-based production applications and environments. As a Web/Linux AWS administrator, you will be providing support and coordinating usage of AWS resources for internal efforts and partner solutions. You will periodically review usage, create automated reports, and provide recommendations on better ways to use services and tools.
You will oversee, monitor, and provide upgrades and updates to different environments across AWS accounts including EC2 Linux instances, RDB database instances, Elastic Load Balancers, Elastic BeanStalk environment. Support will include working with vendors supply software solutions running on ABS AWS resources.
You will oversee external services and tools used within ABS including: GitHub, Travis-CI, Apple Developer, Google Play Development Account(s), and Atlassian Confluence/JIRA.
This job requires regular interaction with management, business users, and vendors to troubleshoot issues, advise on application and system upgrades, maintain users, maintain overall system security, assist with reporting, and assist with database related issues. This role requires work as needed outside of normal business hours to perform application maintenance, migrations, upgrades, and other tasks during times of least impact on users.
Essential Duties/Key Responsibilities:
- Provide Linux administration of AWS EC2 instances
- Provide support for updates and changes to AWS RDS database instances
- Create a maintain formal documentation for environments and their configuration
- Assist with continuous integration efforts including AWS deployment automation.
- Implement and support environment monitoring for health and usage metrics.
- Handle requests for TLS Certificate purchases, installation in Elastic Load Balancers (ELBs) and NGINX
- Be on-call for support of production issues on hosted solutions
- Maintain supporting audit documentation & processes; comply with SDLC principles of deployment & QA
- Maintain proper documentation of current environment within change management guidelines
- Manage AWS Infrastructure Security including SSL certificates, security groups, VPCs, and security policies
- Manage AWS Backup and Restore Processes
- Provide support for OS and application updates
- Provide support for web site and web application launches
- Monitor AWS environment including websites, servers, databases, and backups
- Troubleshoot issues with web environment including performance issues, and site outages
- Ensure PCI compliance where applicable
Essential Traits Skills/Requirements:
- Fervent belief in the mission of American Bible Society
- Passion for the Bible cause and its ability to impact lives, and the mission and core values of ABS
- At least 5-7 years administering Linux server, Web deployments, and networking
- Demonstrable knowledge of trouble-shooting Linux operating system and networking issues including: load balancers, proxy/reverse-proxy servers, Web front-end engines, and NodeJS back-ends
- Experience with scripting languages and utilities
- bash, sh, perl, sed/awk
- python, PHP, Ruby
- Experience with AWS services
- EC2 Instances
- AWS networking configurations
- Regions, accessibility zones, VPCs, sub-nets, and security
- AWS RDS instances: MySQL & PostgreSQL
- AWS CloudFormation templating and best practices
- Experience with Git, GitHub, and GitLab—Concepts of code repositories, version control, and continuous integration "runners"
- Familiarity with Docker and Docker containerazation, both AWS EC2 Container Services (CS) and stand-alone
- Familiarity with Atlassian products including: JIRA, Confluence
- Good oral communications and written skills, in particular, technical documentation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required and ability to communicate with peers and end users
- Strong aptitude for and experience with troubleshooting and solving problems
- Demonstrated experience with LAMP stack management using deployment tools such as Chef or Puppet
- Active hands-on working experience with management or development in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) computing stack (IAM, EC2, ELB, Elastic Beanstalk, Opsworks, Redshift, ElastiCache, ElasticSearch, and RDS)
- Experience supporting Docker containers in production (preferred)
- Familiarity with web and mobile app development & deployment (preferred)
- Bachelor's degree in Information Systems or a similar discipline
Will be required to work as needed outside of normal business hours (8:30-5:00) to perform application maintenance, migrations, upgrades, and other tasks during times of least impact on users.
Our mission is to make the Bible available to every person in a language and format each can understand and afford so all people may experience its life-changing message.
AMERICAN BIBLE SOCIETY’S MISSION:
Our mission is to make the Bible available to every person in a language and format each can understand and afford, so all people may experience its life-changing message.
AMERICAN BIBLE SOCIETY’S CORE VALUES:
We are looking for candidates who embody our core values of:
Value each other by serving, listening and reflecting God’s character.
Practice honesty, authenticity and transparency in word and action.
Embrace our diversity by aligning our collective strengths and unique gifts.
Honor God with our time, talents, partnerships and resources.
American Bible Society's Cultural Traits:
- SPIRITUAL VITALITY
- OUTCOMES ORIENTATION
- SERVANT LEADERSHIP