Posted: December 3, 2018
The Director of Gift Planning, as a key member of Advancement Ministry fundraising team, carries primary leadership and administrative responsibility for managing, mobilizing, and coaching a highly productive and successful field team operation and performance against robust revenue growth targets. This work is accomplished by championing and accelerating progress towards achieving American Bible Society’s 100/100/100/1 Vision Targets, and Advancement Ministry’s Eight Strategic Drivers.
The Director of Gift Planning provides leadership, strategic direction, management, and coordination for program growth objectives, and for maximizing Gift Planning’s combined disciplines of cultivating and securing both outright gifts and deferred gifts. The Director of Gift Planning works closely with the Director of the Bicentennial Campaign to define, refine, and implement effective financial partner strategies that increase the organization’s support from individuals, partners, and other sources.
Additionally, the Director of Gift Planning carries and manages a personal case-load of financial partners and prospects, with related performance targets, as determined by the Director of the Bicentennial Campaign.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Deliver personal and team gift income goals
- Mobilize the field fundraiser team to meet the goals of the Bicentennial Campaign
- Plan, administer, and implement donor-facing and field team Gift Planning fundraising activities
- Develop an annual fundraising plan in collaboration with senior colleagues across the organization
- Manage the Gift Planning team in a fiscally sound manner by ensuring that the appropriate systems are in place to support fundraising goals
- Provide regular detailed reports on fundraising progress to senior colleagues
- Maintain a proactive and creative leadership role in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of contributions
- Partner with American Bible Society’s Deputized Stewardship Officers, Prospect Managers, and Plan Managers toward successful relationships and gift cultivation
- Proactively engage and practice Z-Protocol disciplines
- Serve as a visible spokesperson and advocate for American Bible Society, its mission and programs
Essential Traits/Skills: Minimum qualifications individual must possess when entering position
- Passion for the Bible cause and its ability to impact lives
- Fervent belief in the mission of American Bible Society and its core values
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Proven leadership and administrative acumen in managing high-performing fundraising/sales field teams, and in frequent monitoring and assessing of performance against plan
- Deep proficiency in leading, motivating, coaching, and recruiting high-performing fundraising and/or field representatives
- Disciplined understanding and practitioner of goal setting, monitoring results against plan, and achieving relational and revenue targets. Proven ability in performance-improvement coaching at both the individual and team level
- Accomplished in case-load management, and in fundraising moves management, or equivalent transferable experience
- Ten-plus years of experience in major gift and/or planned giving field work and/or equivalent field leadership and work
- Initiative and ability to work independently
- Personal presence, demeanor and desire to work face-to-face with field team, financial partner prospects, peers, and with Senior Leadership
- Exceptional written, oral, and presentation communication
- Ability to quickly gain the respect and support of various constituencies, including senior staff, board, staff, financial partners, and ministry partners
- A strategist and practitioner who is adept at planning, prioritizing, multi-tasking, organizing, and following through—while remaining highly energetic and focused.
- Straightforward, self-motivated, and diplomatic–sharing information readily, listening and giving advice, and respecting the abilities of others
- Energetic and eager to work hands on in developing and executing a variety of fundraising activities
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Practical understanding of data informed marketing, and assigning case-loads
- Disciplined practitioner of Client Relationship Management system or equivalent
- Full working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Education and/or Training
- Undergraduate degree required from an accredited college or university. Advanced degree preferred
- 10+ years of proven field team leadership, managing and administering a complex relationship marketing system in the development sector, or in the business sector with transferable skills
Field fundraising team comprised of 8-10 staff
Headquarters based, with field team and financial partner visits as needed. While only an estimate, 20% or more of this position may be travel related. Occasional international travel may be required.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Background checks are required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.