Posted: April 9, 2019
The Director of Content leads a team that helps develop and curate a wide variety of effective Scripture engagement resources that contribute to our goal of seeing 100 million people living in the U.S. actively engaging Scripture.
In collaboration with the Managing Director, the Director of Content will create and oversee content/editorial strategic initiatives and will direct the entire life cycle of each project. In addition, the Director of Content will provide guidance, integration, and coordination for the ENGAGE.BIBLE communications platform and other American Bible Society publishing efforts, in coordination with other departments and internal subject matter experts.
The Director of Content will be responsible for discovering and adapting existing content (curating existing American Bible Society content and outside partner content), developing new creative content aligned with American Bible Society ministry priorities, understanding and responding effectively to the needs of ministry partners, contributing to the development of a culture of thought leadership within American Bible Society, and managing an editorial team—both staff and freelance—in service to this mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the U.S. Ministry team to build effective Scripture engagement resources. Commission and edit a variety of Scripture engagement content pieces based on the needs of American Bible Society’s ministry partners.
- Provide leadership to the company to strategically coordinate decisions on print and digital publishing across its divisions.
- Lead the corporate editorial services unit, including the quality assurance team.
- Oversee compliance with American Bible Society’s Content Development Standards and the organization’s style guide.
- Convene and interact with an editorial advisory board to provide subject matter expertise and strategic guidance.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the Scripture engagement marketplace—with a clear knowledge of what’s out there and what’s working.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the latest Scripture engagement research, what churches are finding effective, and what content and resources are driving people to engage Scripture more consistently.
- Direct a team of four editors, content specialists, and quality assurance experts. Develop or work within established processes and systems for effective project management.
- Develop or work within established processes and systems for developing and evaluating the effectiveness of products/resources/content.
Essential Traits/Skills: Minimum qualifications individual must possess
- Passion for the Bible cause and its ability to impact life
- Fervent belief in the mission of American Bible Society and its core values
- Eight or more years of experience in writing, publishing, and editing Christian resources
- Ability to effectively lead a team of staff and freelance editors and writers
- Ability to edit or write in a wide variety of styles (devotional, narrative, how-to, academic, etc.), products (curricula, books, guides, apps), and media (print, web, digital).
- Strong background in Christian theology, ministry, and teaching
- Familiarity with the wide variety of denominations, churches, and networks with whom American Bible Society works, and the implications of their differences for interaction with Bible content.
- Proven written and oral communication skills
- Strong collaborative skills
- Proven leadership skills
- Ability to deliver on deadline
- Ability to remain flexible and respond to changing priorities
- Excellent organizational skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft suite, Google Docs, and other collaborative document tools
Strong candidates will also have:
- Familiarity with topics and conversations surrounding core American Bible Society thematic priorities (intersection of faith and liberty in the American experience; Scripture practices and discipleship; and the intersection of Bible and mental health issues, especially trauma and suffering).
- Multicultural sensitivities and experience in international organizations
Education and/or Training
- Bachelor’s degree in some areas of writing, publishing, or theology (graduate degree preferred)
- 8+ years of experience in related field
- Office located in Philadelphia, PA.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Background checks are required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.