Posted: May 29, 2019
Supporting our new decade goals of 100 million people in America engaging with the Scriptures, the Executive Director of the Faith and Liberty Discovery Center (FLDC), LLC, an American Bible Society operation, holds the primary responsibility for the successful operation of the FLDC, and will possess the ability to create and support a learning environment, so that staff will adopt AAM standards and promote best practices for cultural and educational institutions.
The Executive Director should have a demonstrated interest and enthusiasm for history and the Bible, the subject matter of the Discovery Center, and the relevance of the story in the founding and sustaining of our nation and in our contemporary American society; a passion for the FLDC’s public-facing mission, and an understanding of the role that it can play as a catalyst in our civil society.
Resourcefulness and a strong work ethic, high attention to detail, innovative thinker and problem solver, able to make tough decisions, and ability to bring clarity to the FLDC’s plans and activities are needed. Must be a smart, quick study who will engage with and be embraced by visitors and colleagues within the center and cultural institution community alike.
The Executive Director is also accountable for interfacing with both internal and external customers to ensure that the message and mission of the FLDC is portrayed in an effective and God-honoring fashion.
- Ensure that every guest has a pleasant, rewarding, and inspiring experience.
- Meet or exceed all revenue and budget goals in the annual plan.
- Lead all security, maintenance, exhibition, and technical operations.
- Lead sales and marketing teams.
- Develop and maintain a friendly and technically proficient staff that is able to effectively secure, plan, and facilitate all phases of the FLDC operations.
- Establish training and quality control standards that are put in place across all team members.
- Ensure the culture, reputation and brand of the FLDC is actively cultivated.
- Work with VP of Faith and Liberty Initiative to establish strategic plans, including ministry and operational KPI’s, sales and marketing, P&L, budget, and financial goals.
- Provide support and input into other areas of American Bible Society’s ministry, as requested.
- Manage and maintain all vendors, contractors, building and city relations.
- Serve as a public spokesperson for the FLDC, representing its interests with the public and donor community, in partnership with the VP, Chief of Exhibits, Programs and Public Engagement, and American Bible Society’s Advancement Ministry.
ESSENTIAL TRAITS/SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE
- Passion for the Bible cause and its ability to impact lives, and the mission and core values of American Bible Society
- Operations management acumen to include strategic planning, sales, personnel supervision, and evaluation; budget preparation and forecasting, communications, and program implementation
- Demonstrated success in organizational start-up and/or transition during periods of growth and change
- Superior project management skills
- Demonstrated fundraising and financial management talent
- Capital campaign experience preferred
- Strong relationship-building and collaboration skills for working with staff, donors, members, government officials, the local and regional community, and media
- Exceptional organization skills with obsessive attention to detail
- A problem-solver and excellent communicator
- Experience working with multiple contractors, vendors, and service providers
- Ability to make quick decisions and possess excellent conflict resolution skills
- Ability to mentor, manage, inspire, and evaluate direct reports, provide organizational leadership and foster a collaborative, creative work environment
- Well-versed and comfortable with leading-edge technology
- Staff development skills including an eye for talent, plus the ability to attract/retain a top-quality staff
- Excellent presentation abilities
- Ability to speak to both faith-based and secular audiences
- Commitment to American Bible Society’s affirmation, mission, and core values
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in business, management, or related field. (Masters strongly preferred)
- Minimum of 10 years of management experience at an organization with a staff of 15 or more.
- Senior leadership experience in an educational organization, museum, or cultural center. Non-profit experience preferred.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Background checks are required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.