Posted: November 15, 2018
The Translation team at American Bible Society works with a vast network of global partners to ensure that every person on the planet can access God’s Word in their heart language. The goals for this Translation team and its global partners can only be achieved with God’s help, in partnership, and with a clear strategy and operational plan. These goals include:
- Reducing the Bible poverty gap for more than 600 million people by launching 881 first translations of Bibles, New Testaments, and Scripture Portions by 2026.
- Successfully completing our current portfolio of 291 ongoing translations (157 first translations and 134 new translations and revisions) on time and on budget.
The Managing Director will provide high-level leadership for all aspects of the Translation team and its implementation strategy. This includes 1) ensuring that an effective strategy is in place, and that it’s well supported by clear structures and top-tier talent; 2) ensuring operational efficiency and effectiveness across American Bible Society and ministry partner teams; 3) ensuring that all translation projects are designed and implemented according to the Common Framework; 4) developing and maintaining healthy partnerships across the United Bible Societies fellowship and beyond, including other global ministry organizations; 5) creating a strong team culture to provide the foundation for global growth; 6) providing strong, servant leadership with a clear vision and a healthy integration of learning and execution; and 7) integrating effectively with Advancement Ministry to serve our financial partners well, and to increase funding for translation.
- Mobilize the translation team and key partners around a clear, compelling, and shared vision for finishing the task of Bible translation.
- Provide leadership of key staff across all domains of Bible translation, including technology, training, project development, partnerships, budgeting, and operations.
- Oversee the development of strategic and operational plans that will help American Bible Society achieve its goals while improving quality, lowering the cost, and accelerating the pace of our translation projects.
- Nurture existing partnerships and develop new ones to ensure that American Bible Society achieves its translation goals.
- Represent American Bible Society and our translation work in key meetings with a wide range of global ministry partners and financial partners.
- Pursue opportunities to represent what God is doing in Bible translation at national or international conferences and strategic dialogues around the world.
- Oversee the development and management of a dashboard of key performance indicators to track quality, cost, and speed of translation projects.
- Create a learning environment within built-in mechanisms for innovation, adaptation, and rapid learning.
- Passion for the Bible cause and its ability to impact lives
- Fervent belief in the mission of American Bible Society
- Proven skills in leading diverse, global teams with courage, confidence, and humility.
- Proven ability to build integrated strategies that incorporate the voice of financial partners and implementing partners.
- Proven inter-cultural intelligence, with the ability to successfully lead and partner with people from different global cultures.
- Disciplined approach to goal setting, monitoring results against a plan, and moving a team towards execution of a plan.
- Initiative and the ability to work independently.
- Exceptional written, oral, and presentation communications.
- Ability to live out core values including openness, humility, and other key personal and organizational core values.
- 7+ years of global leadership experience
- Experience working cross-culturally
- Experience working on a creative and agile team
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- College degree required
- Further certifications and degrees a plus
- Frequent international travel required
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Background checks are required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.