Posted: June 1, 2018
American Bible Society (ABS) seeks an individual with strong organizational, analytic, relationship, and business intelligence skills to help the Mission U.S. team reach its vision of 100 million people actively engaged in Scripture by 2026.
The purpose of the Ministry Intelligence (MI) Engineer is to provide leadership and guidance in the development and deployment of a data warehouse in close partnership with our Technology Services team. The warehouse will be used for all Mission U.S. data. Responsibilities include assessing and developing long-term strategic goals for ministry intelligence in conjunction with the Ministry Intelligence team, Technology Solutions (TS), and stakeholders. The MI Engineer is responsible for the successful delivery of business intelligence information to Mission U.S. and is experienced in BI development and implementations, data architecture, and data warehousing. Additional responsibilities include: creating star schema data models, performing ETLs and validating results with external data partners.
The Ministry Intelligence Engineer will work with the MI team, TS data architect, external data science team, and ministry staff to produce actionable insights to support the ministry staff in making effective decisions. Working with the Technology Solutions team, s/he will design and implement a BI infrastructure for Mission U.S. The MI Engineer will be responsible for building and managing the Ministry Data Warehouse, Data Mart, and MI reporting environments. S/he will need to interact with analysts, program staff, project managers, and external vendors and must be good at working in a team environment.
The Ministry Intelligence (MI) team collects, stores, and analyzes campaign data, quantitative and qualitative research, and other related data layers, to develop insights that (1) describe, (2) predict, and (3) prescribe strategic programs, and (4) inform and simplify decision-making. These insights inform new Scripture engagement resources and provide strategic counsel for ministry leaders. The primary customers for the MI team are Mission U.S. ministries, including Strategic Partnerships, Digital Outreach, and Engagement Resources. Beyond the Mission U.S. team, the MI team serves ABS Ministry Mobilization and Bible advocates who choose to partner with Mission U.S.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The duties of this position require meeting with departmental and organizational leaders to determine information and management reporting needs. Based on requirements identified, the MI Engineer will work with database resources, external partners, and other staff as required to ensure data are collected and managed appropriately. The candidate will develop BI solutions by creating, monitoring, and tuning queries and data loads; addressing user questions concerning data integrity; monitoring performance; and communicating functional and technical issues.
- Liaison with the Technology Solutions System/Data Architect, develop a cloud Data Warehouse with full ETL capabilities (Microsoft Azure)
- Assess, implement and optimize visual intelligence tools such as Tableau
- Create dashboards and reporting that monitor Ministry performance across major departments
- Optimize the use of analytics and business intelligence tools to provide ad hoc analysis in a timely and insightful manner
- Design and implement new, innovative predictive models that improve marketing performance and program effectiveness
- Identify opportunities to act on the data and insights from tools and reporting to inform personalization, progressive profiling, and predictive models
- Collect, analyze, and share data to help ministry teams drive improvement in key ministry metrics, customer experience, and ministry results.
- Utilize database and web application technologies to develop and evaluate innovative ministry intelligence tools and automated reports.
- Develop and test BI solutions such as databases, queries, views, reports, and dashboards.
- Assist in data conversions, imports, and exports of data within and between internal and external software systems.
- Document new and existing models, solutions, and implementations.
- Design and build reporting and analysis tools that help streamline the ministry and make reporting, analyzing, planning, and forecasting more efficient.
- Support and assist with the integration of BI platforms with enterprise systems and applications.
Key Skills and Competencies:
- 5+ years of relevant technology architecture industry experience.
- Proficient in one or more of major ETL tools such as Informatica, Datastage, SAS and their administration
- Proficient in one or more of major BI reporting tools such as Tableau, Microsoft PowerBI, business objects, Hyperion, Cognos, SAS and their administration
- Proficient in one or more of major metadata tools and their administration
- Proficient in one or more of major OLAP tools such as MicroStrategy, Hyperion, Brio, SAS and their administration
- Proficient in one or more of major data modeling tools such as Erwin, Data Architect, Oracle Designer and their administration
- Provide support on data quality components during the implementation of the solution architecture
- Provide technical recommendations for optimized data access and retention for the data warehouse
- Provide oversight to the Mission U.S. BI team, as it develops
- Define areas of improvement to optimize data flows
- Identify strategy for data acquisition and archiving
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership in a cross-functional team environment.
- Understanding of modeling social scientific constructs in a BI context.
- Ability to meaningfully connect behavioral data to underlying constructs.
- Professional composure and communications with internal and external key stakeholders.
- Must be able to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, and meet deadlines with little supervision, and be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Passion for the Bible cause and its ability to impact lives.
- Fervent belief in the mission of the American Bible Society and its core values.
- Superior organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Orientation of customer service with high expectations for quality.
- Willingness to learn new skills in the rapidly changing world of research and business intelligence.
Education & Training
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Management or specialized training/certification preferred; significant work experience can substitute for degree.
- Master’s degree in Data Science or Data Analytics preferred.
Appropriate technical certifications in Microsoft Azure (Cloud Platform), SQL, and Tableau a plus.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Background checks are required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.