Posted: July 31, 2019
The National Director of Major Gifts, a key member of the Advancement Ministry fundraising team, carries primary leadership and administrative responsibility for managing, mobilizing, and coaching highly productive and successful field team operations and performance against robust revenue growth targets. This work is accomplished by effectively championing and accelerating progress towards achieving American Bible Society’s vision targets.
The National Director of Major Gifts provides leadership, strategic direction, management, and coordination for program growth objectives, and for maximizing Major Gifts. The National Director of Major Gifts works closely with the SVP of Advancement Ministry to define, refine, and implement effective financial partner strategies that increase the organization’s support from individuals, partners, and other sources.
Additionally, the National Director of Major Gifts carries and manages a personal caseload of financial partners and prospects, with related performance targets, as determined by the SVP of Advancement Ministry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Deliver on personal and team gift income goals
- Mobilize the field fundraiser team to meet the goals of the Bicentennial Campaign
- Plan, administer, and implement donor-facing and field team Major Gift fundraising activities
- Develop an annual fundraising plan in collaboration with senior colleagues across the organization
- Manage the Major Gift team in a fiscally sound manner by ensuring that the appropriate systems are in place to support fundraising goals
- Provide regular detailed reports on fundraising progress to senior colleagues
- Maintain a proactive and creative leadership role in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of contributions
- Partner with American Bible Society’s Deputized Stewardship Officers, Prospect Managers, and Plan Managers for successful relationship and gift cultivation
- Proactively engage and practice Partner Process principles
- Serve as a visible spokesperson and advocate for American Bible Society, its mission, and programs
Essential Traits/Skills: Minimum qualifications individual must possess when entering position
- Passion for the Bible cause and its ability to impact lives
- Fervent belief in the mission of American Bible Society and its core values
- Proven leadership and administrative acumen in managing high-performing fundraising/sales field teams, and in frequent monitoring and assessing of performance against plan
- Disciplined understanding and practitioner of goal setting, monitoring results against plan, and achieving relational and revenue targets. Proven ability in performance improvement coaching at both the individual and team level
- Accomplished in caseload management, and in fundraising moves management, or equivalent transferable experience
- Five-plus years of experience in major gift and/or planned giving field work and/or equivalent field leadership and work
- Initiative and ability to work independently
- Personal presence, demeanor, and desire to work face-to-face with field team, financial partner prospects, peers, and with Sr. Leadership
- Exceptional written, oral, and presentation communications
- Ability to quickly gain the respect and support of various constituencies, including senior staff, board, staff, financial partners, and ministry partners
- A strategist and practitioner who is adept at planning, prioritizing, multi-tasking, organizing, and following through, while remaining highly energetic and focused
- Straightforward, self-motivated, and diplomatic – sharing information readily, listening as well as giving advice, and respecting the abilities of others
- Practical understanding of data-informed marketing and assigning caseloads
- Disciplined practitioner of Client Relationship Management system or equivalent
- Full working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Education and/or Training
- Undergrad degree required from an accredited college or university. Advanced degree preferred
- 15+ years of proven field team leadership, managing and administering a complex relationship marketing system in the development sector, or in the business sector with transferable skills
Field fundraising team comprised of 8-10 staff
Headquarters based, with field team and financial partner visits as needed. While only an estimate, 20% or more of this position may be travel related. Occasional international travel may be required.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Background checks are required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.