Posted: April 25, 2019
The Research Manager (Manager) reports directly to the Ministry Intelligence Team Leader. The Research Manager leads the Ministry Intelligence Team’s research and program evaluation efforts, using the tools and best practices of social science and market research. The Research Manager coordinates the work of research contractors and vendors, and collaborates with internal research partners, including the Evaluation and Learning Team and Technology Solution. When research interns are available, the Research Manager oversees their research work and provides constructive feedback.
The Research Manager serves as the Ministry Intelligence Team’s primary survey research designer and is expected to hold a Qualtrics Research Core Expert Certification or to obtain that certification within 90 days of employment. The Research Manager is also proficient at telling stories with data. Thus, the Manager works to make research results visible and understandable to the U.S. Ministry team and other internal stakeholders by creating accurate, attractive data visualizations and reports using Qualtrics, Tableau, Excel, and similar tools.
The Research Manager serves as the Ministry Intelligence Team’s project manager, assisting the Team Leader by developing and communicating clear processes for project intake, progress reporting, and collateral production. In this role, the Manager works collaboratively with the entire Ministry Intelligence Team, the U.S. Ministry team, and other internal and external stakeholders. Previous training and/or experience with project management is beneficial; attention to detail is a must.
The Ministry Intelligence Team serves U.S. Ministry and its partners with insights that inform Bible engagement strategy, design, implementation, and effectiveness. The Ministry Intelligence Team provides ministry leaders with the information and data-centered tools they need to steward their initiatives and catalyze life transformation through the Bible. The Team’s purpose is to develop and deliver Bible engagement insights about people and products in cooperation with our partners in the Bible cause. To execute this strategy, the Ministry Intelligence Team works to excel in four key areas: (1) Market Research, (2) Business Intelligence, (3) Measurement & Evaluation, and (4) Communication.
The Ministry Intelligence Team is a collaborative group of subject matter experts who work collaboratively to serve the team’s goals. As a member of the Team, the Research Manager is expected to share in administrative tasks as needed, including calendar management, travel planning, and contract management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage market research efforts in service of the U.S. Ministry department.
- Develop, deploy, and report on survey research using Qualtrics online research software and other platforms, as needed.
- Design and implement program evaluation measures for U.S. Ministry initiatives.
- Manage the flow of projects through the Ministry Intelligence Team.
- Direct the work of external contractors, conducting or analyzing market research for U.S. Ministry.
- Oversee relationships with research vendors
- Manage the contract process for research vendors in collaboration with U.S. Ministry’s Business Analysis Associate.
- Present clear, accurate, and understandable reports on research conducted or commissioned by the Ministry Intelligence Team.
- Coordinate research for internal clients (American Bible Society departments outside U.S. Ministry), as requested and approved by U.S. Ministry leadership.
- Work collaboratively with the Ministry Intelligence Engineer and the Data Journalist to achieve the mission of the Ministry Intelligence Team.
- Study published research on best practices in Scripture Engagement programming, advocacy, and measurement.
- Maintain a collaborative relationship with the Evaluation and Learning team.
- Provide limited administrative support to the Ministry Intelligence team, as needed.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the Core Values of American Bible Society.
Key Skills and Competencies:
- 5+ years research experience required. Relevant education may substitute for experience.
- Expertise in qualitative and quantitative research.
- Project management experience or training a plus.
- Experience with the Qualtrics Research Core suite a plus.
- Ability to manage the work of subordinates and contractors, even at a distance.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Professional composure and communications with internal and external key stakeholders.
- Must be able to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, meet deadlines with little supervision, and be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Passion for the Bible cause and its ability to impact lives
- Fervent belief in the mission of American Bible Society and its core values
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Superior organizational skills
- Orientation toward customer service with high expectations for quality
- Willingness to learn new skills in the rapidly changing world of research and business intelligence.
Education & Training
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred in social science and/or market research.
- Significant work experience with evidence of achievement can substitute for degree.
- Coursework in quantitative and qualitative research strongly preferred.
- Qualtrics Research Core Expert Certification or willingness to obtain certification within 90 days of employment.
- Proficiency with SPSS, SAS, or other statistical analysis software strongly preferred.
- Tableau Desktop Certified Professional preferred.
- Experience using U.S. Census Bureau data for population research a plus.
- Familiarity with ArcGIS and similar mapping tools preferred.
- Proficient in latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Background checks are required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.