Posted: December 28, 2017
The Senior Military Ministry Mobilizer for Armed Services Ministry manages American Bible Society’s (ABS) ministry to military members, veterans, and their families and serves as a part of the management team of Look Inside Church Partnerships which is focused on reaching ABS’ goal of 100 million people actively engaging Scripture by 2026. The Senior Military Ministry Mobilizer, ASM reports to the Director, Look Inside Church Partnerships. The Senior Military Ministry Mobilizer of ASM contributes to the vision, mission and values of ABS through responsible and effective leadership, visioning, strategy planning, stewardship, development, networking, and collaboration with the military, veterans, and associated supporting communities so they may experience the Bible’s life-changing message. This leader provides the primary source of information, planning, counsel, and execution for direction and oversight in matters pertaining to:
- Advancement of the mission of ABS in the military, veteran, and associated supporting communities.
- Development and provision of Scripture (whole and partial) for the military, veteran, and associated supporting communities. This includes both print and digital products.
- Development, curation and provision of Scripture engagement materials, both print and digital, for the military, veteran, and associated supporting communities.
- Advocacy for the Bible through publications and presentations, improving perception of the Scriptures among military personnel and veterans who are skeptical, questioning, spiritually traumatized, or disengaged.
- Development of strategic networking and communications with the military, veteran, and associated supporting communities.
- Development and promotion of research and intelligence gathered by ABS and partners to equip the metro Church, military chaplains, and associated supporting communities with insights on Bible perceptions and behaviors among military active duty and veterans.
- Collaboration with ABS’ Faith and Liberty Discovery Center, Mission Trauma Healing, and Mission Advancement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Shape the direction of ASM: Assist the Look Inside Church Partnerships Director to sharpen the vision for ASM, develop strategic, operational and implementation plans for ABS’ ministry to all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces and veterans’ communities.
- Initiate and develop programs, projects, products and strategies which are aligned to the vision and plans of Mission US at ABS. Lead team in accomplishing these programs, projects, products, and strategies.
- Develop/Improve relationships with Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine, and Coast Guard Chiefs of Chaplains, Director of Chaplain Services for the Veterans Administration and other key strategic chaplain leaders.
- Attend Strategic Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine, Coast Guard, Veterans Administration Chiefs of Chaplains Events/Conferences.
- Visit Armed Forces Chaplain Center (Army, Navy, Air Force Chaplain Training Institutes) regularly.
- Visit the Veterans Affairs headquarters, medical, and training facilities.
- Develop/Improve relationships with Department of Defense approved Chaplain endorsers.
- Attend Denominational Chaplain Conferences.
- Chair ASM meetings including: project meetings, funding conferences, and strategy sessions.
- Establish/revise tactical plans to facilitate successful accomplishment of ABS goals when working with U.S. Military and Veterans communities.
- Continually scan the strategic religious/faith horizon/environment to identify and develop additional collaborative partnerships for ABS.
- Collaborate with Mission Advancement, Marketing and Mission US/GSI Research to “tell and sell” stories of life-impact.
- Collaborate with Global Scripture Impact to prepare/update Impact Research and Sector Reports.
Administration and Operations
- Prepare annual budget for ASM in collaboration with the Look Inside Church Partnerships Director, Mission US and Ministry Mobilization leadership.
- Ensure that periodic administrative reports and updates are provided to the Director of Church Partnerships, the Managing Director of Mission US, the Sr. Vice President of Ministry Mobilization, ABS President/CEO and the Board of ABS.
- Provide leadership, support and training for individuals within this team as required.
- Provide performance management through feedback and coaching. Address performance issues in a timely and responsible manner and assures high performers are appropriately recognized.
- Recruit and train new staff to meet growth demands.
Key Skills and Competencies
- Passion for the Bible cause and its ability to impact lives
- Fervent belief in the mission of the American Bible Society and its core values
The Senior Military Ministry Mobilizer for Armed Services Ministry must demonstrate superior capacity to:
- Execute: Must be able to accomplish goals and objectives to advance the mission of ASM, Look Inside Church Partnerships, Mission US, and ABS in the military, veterans, and associated supporting communities. Create effective plans, properly arrange resources, focus on critical nodes, and make informed decisions to advance the mission of ABS.
- Influence: Must be able to effectively influence staff, consultants, colleagues, strategic partners, key military and veteran leaders, key church leaders, key donors, ABS leadership, and board members in order to advance the mission of ABS.
- Build Relationships: Must be able to initiate, enhance, and nurture key relationships within ABS and outside ABS with key strategic leaders and partners in order to advance the mission of ABS. Build a high-performance team that is racially, culturally, theologically and demographically diverse; recruit, manage, coach, counsel and develop personnel; provide staff with clear expectations and directions, fostering creativity and problem-solving.
- Think Strategically: Must be able to envision and communicate the future vision, direction, and goals to advance the mission of ABS.
- Proven leadership experience at the highest level of a large organization.
- Significant military experience and knowledge.
- Demonstrated experiences in organizational development, change management, and project management.
- A successful track record implementing effective management practices, including staff development.
- Sensitivity to pluralism, multi-cultural, inter-confessional and diversity issues.
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- Master’s Degree a plus
- Military Background
Position Location and Working Conditions
- Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Travel required
- Some evening and weekend duties
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Background checks are required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.