Posted: February 14, 2018
Job Purpose/ Position Objective:
The Senior Manager, Systems Engineering in the Technology Solutions organization (TS) will serve as the technology solutions development and maintenance partner for the enterprise. This position will be responsible for proactive and impactful global system architecture, integration, development and support for the evolving American Bible Society (ABS) technology platform. The Senior Manager will collaborate closely with external senior client partners and business owners / Program Management Office (PMO) as well as will play a significant role in demonstrating IT differentiation and global capabilities through ongoing internal and industry relationships. This position will also closely align with the Enterprise process owners and IT PMO to ensure that the IT team is delivering and integrating the requisite tools to align with and support the strategy and operations of the business as defined by the mission of ABS. Reporting to the Managing Director, Technology Solutions (TS), the Senior Manager will be responsible for engaging with the organization to develop a strategic, roadmap, architecture, system application portfolio and development / support plan for scalable and reusable technology platforms that align with the ABS mission.
- Support the IT PMO and business process owners with requirements management, system analysis, design, development and quality assurance services for multiple back-office, web and mobile products, including system architecture and integration, data architecture and standards, data delivery for insights and analysis, operational application support and database administration and vendor Service Level Agreement (SLA) / Statement of Work (SOW) management
- Manage application portfolio, architecture, development, maintenance and support – including the ‘dotted-lines’ applications in the functional areas
- Provide database administration and application integration; data warehousing
- Develop a resourcing model to support new development as well as application maintenance; manage a team of remote and onsite employees as well as off-shore resources as appropriate based on resource and workload needs
- Provide an environment where the best people want to work
- Establish procedures, and standards for software development life cycle (SDLC), regulatory and audit compliance
- Establish best-in-class processes for project management and quality assurance
- Establish a cadence for internal and external IT communication
- Develop impactful application technical strategies and provide leadership for the successful design, development, and execution of those strategies and tactics in a timely, cost effective, and quality manner
- Participation in cross-functional key stakeholder committees responsible for evaluating all business projects and prioritization process as needed
- Provide integration and scalability for a portfolio of packaged and custom applications
- Keep current with trends and issues in the IT industry, including current and evolving technologies. Advise and educate executives and management on their competitive or financial impact
- Partner with the IT PMO, business unit leaders and other key stakeholders to drive innovation, change and implement new business processes and systems to drive value to the business
Administration and Operations
- Drive operational execution excellence and Performance Management Key Success Measurements (KSMs) within the Applications Development and Support organization to ensure that project timelines and requirements are met
- Develop, track, and control the annual operating expenses and capital budgets
- Manage an adaptable and flexible staffing and resource model that will potentially involve a mix of onsite and remote employees as well as outsourced resources as needed
- Foster and enable an open, collaborative, synergistic environment among the business and IT; engage closely so that projects meet expectations and drive intended value
- Maintain close working relationships with senior business leaders, various functional leaders, partners and senior executive across ABS
- Lead the entire project life-cycle through the project inception, requirements, business case and scope through to implementation and change management
- Lead, manage and reward/recognize a highly productive, motivated and driven team through strong communication, empowerment, reward and coaching techniques.
- Focus on building a high-performance and effective team with experience in adopting and executing standardized processes and tools for all initiatives
Essential Skills: Minimum qualifications individual must possess:
- Passion for the Bible cause and its ability to impact lives
- Fervent belief in the mission of the American Bible Society
- Requires 10 (or more) years of management experience in IT Leadership capacity
- Proven experience leading large and complex projects and environments with demonstrated business impacts and in selling the value of technology to the business including managing domestic and off-shore resources
- Experience with SDLC, zero-based budgeting methods and practices
- Ability to interface with the PMO, partners, donors and business owners to recommend and implement successful, cost effective IT solutions
- Strong business planning skills to execute strategic projects with implications for business areas with rapidly evolving business processes; requires a balanced perspective on strategic and tactical issues
- Experience with full systems development life cycles in both custom developed applications and packaged solutions. Must be able to perform analysis and make recommendations on custom vs. packaged solutions taking into account the long term total cost of ownership, and speed to market
- Experience with consumer/public e-commerce and m-commerce systems
- Proven ability to select and retain top talent and create a productive environment that promotes initiative, innovation, continual learning and development of key personnel for future advancement
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, customer and client relationship and presentation capabilities
Key Competencies and Attributes:
The ideal candidate must be self-confident but also have the ability to network and influence behaviors/actions through listening, persuasion and diplomacy. She/he should have well developed management and people skills, strong analytical and reasoning skills and strong technical skills. This individual will possess excellent strategic, tactical and technical capabilities, business acumen, customer relationship and team management capabilities, as well as proven experience in successfully driving projects and delivering significant business impact. The successful placement must have a strong sense of commitment to the ABS Mission and the position, and be enthusiastic about the opportunity to make a substantial contribution to its continued growth.
- A leader with business savvy who possesses the maturity, drive, patience and knowledge necessary to work through the organization to lead the building of a world-class technology organization
- A team player who collaborates well with peers, subordinates and superiors
- An effective communicator who thinks strategically and has a strong customer service orientation
- Independent thinker; capable of managing vendors, outsourcers and partners
- Action oriented; an individual not afraid to roll up her/his sleeves
- Participative management style – advocates team-building concepts
- Sound judgment and good communication skills; able to communicate effectively with both internal management and external providers/suppliers
- A leader who effectively deals with ambiguity and holds him/herself accountable regardless of responsibility.
- Experience or exposure to some or all of the following Web/LINUX technologies, environments and tools: Amazon AWS, HTML, Ruby on Rails, node.js, React, Cucumber, RSpec, Travis CI, Git, Cordova and OpsWorks.
- Experience or exposure to some or all of the following Microsoft technologies environments and tools: SQL Database/Server, Visual Studio, ASP.NET, SharePoint, Azure
- Experience with Expression Engine for web development
Education and/or Training:
- The successful candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent work experience) from an accredited college or university ideally with a concentration in IT or related discipline; an advanced degree is desirable, but not required
This position will report to the Managing Director, Technology Solutions (TS) and will oversee a team of 5-10 direct reports
Office located in center-city Philadelphia. Minimal travel expected. Core Hours: 8:30 – 5:00.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Background checks are required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.